If you have tried every styling trick in the book to treat thin hair, you are not alone. Hair loss can be due to a number of reasons, the most common being medication for an illness, age, genetics, hormonal changes, unhealthy lifestyle, stress and seasonal changes. If your hair is fine in texture it is more prone to becoming thin.
There are several remedies in the market that promise to turn bald heads into heads full of hair but the truth is, reversing the process is not easy. There are medical treatments and hair transplants to arrest hair loss, but not many people prefer this route.
As a rule, losing 110-150 hairs a day is quite normal. Fortunately, there are cosmetic solutions for thin hair, which can enhance the appearance of the hair. Hair loss can happen any time, and in women, it is usually after menopause because of hormonal changes. Another reason is pregnancy, stress, surgery or a thyroid deficiency.
How can you protect our hair and stop hair loss?
There are many thin hair treatment options to make your hair look thicker and fuller.
Solutions for thin hair
Here are some effective tips to add volume to your hair and keep it healthy.
• Choose hair products with care. If you use hair care solutions for thin hair, make sure they are devoid of paraffin which can break your hair in the long run. Preferably, go in for salon products like mousse which are light and make your hair look fuller. While shopping for hair care products, look for volume, thickness and body. Try and avoid products that contain too much moisture as this can make your hair appear flat.
• Wash when you need to. Thin hair can need more frequent washes. Make sure you use a good quality mild shampoo and conditioner. Conditioner must always be applied to your hair ends, not the roots.
• Select a hairstyle that suits your hair. If you tend to use hair dryers a lot, be careful about not getting your hair close to high heat. Using curling and flat irons can weaken your hair a lot, making it break. Go in for a hairstyle that is easy to maintain and keeps your hair healthy.
• To give your hair volume, try powder made of keratin fibers to suit your hair color, which you can apply on the hair as well as scalp.
• Scalp concealers can also make thin hair look fuller.
• Get a good haircut to style your hair. When it is shorter, it weighs less. Rather than perm your hair, just give it a wave to make it look thicker.
• Keep your hair healthy to minimize the chances of damage.
• Air-dry your hair as much as possible after shampoo. If you have to use a hair dryer, use medium to low heat and brush it gently only when it is almost dry.
• Sun damaged hair must be treated to replenish the lost keratin. Try this home remedy: mix half a cup of honey, one or two tablespoons of olive oil and a couple of tablespoons of egg yolk. Apply this to the hair and leave it on for 20 minutes before you rinse it with lukewarm water. Remember to protect your hair when you step out in the sunshine. Exposure to the sun can dry your hair follicles and break your hair easily.
• It goes without saying that hair must be kept clean to prevent dandruff and itchiness.
Besides the above tips, it is important to ensure that you get enough protein in your diet since its deficiency can lead to hair loss. If you are experiencing sudden and rapid hair loss, talk to your doctor to check for any underlying health conditions and explore safe solutions for thin hair.